Why I Chose to Go Back to School at 36 Years Old


            “Company, attention!”  These are the famous last words one hears when kissing freedom goodbye for the next ten-to-twelve weeks.  After standing at attention for 9 hours that day, I really wished I had chosen college, but who would have paid for it?  Poverty, injury, and a footprint(impact) are the things that lead me to a liberal arts school; to answer this essay question. 
            The ice cream truck always provides my children with immediate, explosive energy.  It also provides my wallet with more breathing room, and less inventory.  My mother hardly had acquired enough resources to provide this cherished memory for me, and I learned from a young age that I would have to “acquire” for myself.  Growing up in Poverty can create a drive within a young man, one that can only be quenched with success.  A strong work ethic was what I had developed over the years, and the military only enhanced the drive.  It provided a way out of poverty, a way to pay for College.  So, at the bright age of 17, I ran off and joined the military.  Unknowingly, I would spend 14 years of my life in this journey.  It was one that brought discovery, brotherhood, and physical and mental scars.
            At the age of 33, I received my first hip surgery due to a torn labrum in my hip.  I was forced to make a decision: either go for more surgeries on my other hip and both shoulders, or medical retirement.  After a long deliberation, I chose the latter.  Being unable to fight with my body allowed no room for me inside of an organization of fighting machines.  This machine – my body - was broke and needed some heavy fabrication to get it to meet standards.  I had learned a trade as a younger man, floor installation, but this occupation required a working back and hips – both of which had been already worn down.  What is an old Soldier to do?  Quit?  Retreat?  No.  Since I would no longer fight with my body, I decided to fight with my mind. 
            Soon after my tenure in the Army was completed, I tried finding ways to impact the world in a positive manner.  I want to leave this place better than it was when I landed here, but things were not looking good.  After all, plan A had just fallen though, but then it hit me.  I had the G.I. Bill and retirement from the Army, so financially my family was set.  Mentally, however, something was missing.  A longing was there, a longing for learning and contributing.  After teaching Cyber Security for Lockheed Martin for about 6 months, I decided to return to school.  I was apart of the Career I had always wanted to be involved with, but felt something was missing.  I was not leaving a large enough footprint when I had walked.
            We are all thrown curve balls in life, and how we react to them and work our way through the ups and downs molds our characters.  Experience, injury, and may not be the compounding factors of success, but they are for me.  It may be that I am here for no reason other than God wanted me here at a Liberal Arts College, yet somehow, that seems like the only feasible option left.

Comments

Popular Posts